free web tracker

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Last American Exit...


I'm pretty sure they keep this exit well hidden. I couldn't say for sure where it is, but I'd like to know. I've had the worst case of writers block for the last two months. I get 2/3 of the way through a song or story and it just grinds to a halt. I've finished a few things, but I have yet to pass judgement on their worthiness to be pulled out of the 'For Your Eyes Only' category. Yes, I'm stressed and distracted, but that shit's going to happen and it's not an excuse to give up. Seriously. There's presently 6 sets of semi-finished lyrics on my wall, another 4 on the computer and god knows how many balled up in the garbage beneath all the unpayed bills.

I'm sorry to pout. I'm sorry to whine. I just need to write this down in the hopes that it goes away. You know, a literal clearing of the mind. Maybe I should try some drugs. From my University literature studies, I gather that writers are fond of opiates and poisons (Absinthe?) Maybe I'll give it one more month. I'm not that worried yet. Just frustrated. As such, I want to find this exit and spend some time at its destination. Is it a resort? A middle american town? Something Jennifer Lopez will never find? All questions that burn in my mind and keep me awake at night. I think Neil Finn might live in this place. He may, in fact, be the mayor. Anyway, I need his help. I need some guidance. Some inspiration. Some money to pay the damned bills and the rent.

On a partly relevant tangent, it's in this relentless season of summer that I always think of Neil's song, 'Nails in My Feet.'


Total surrender
Your touch is so tender
Your skin is like water
On a burning beach
And it brings me relief
It brings me relief

9 Comments:

At 12:52 a.m., Blogger Mick Torbay said...

Dear JD,

If you're thinking about the Absynth, I'm your connection. The bottle's waiting. Penalty shot for Dallas!

yer old pal

mitch

 
At 1:31 a.m., Blogger Sara Desjardins said...

Second!!!
;)

 
At 11:26 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

writer's block huh?
this is time for you to have a long chat with old friends about the empty road ahead and lovliness of everything and to sit on a rooftop and watch the stars and to have ice cream from the ice cream truck and to dig your toes into hot sand and to listen to your records laying on your bed, staring at the empty ceiling and just listen.

or drugs and booze....

luv des

 
At 1:18 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw... Ok OK... Lets not get into the booze... drugs or anything... (Bad expieriences...) Just sit back relax, and know that it will pass. Believe me. When the right time comes for the right song, it'll click. And it will KICK ASS. :)

 
At 4:58 a.m., Blogger J.D. said...

Alright, alright. I'll give it until Thanksgiving. But if I'm not cranking out #1 hits by then, I'm hitting the booze Hunter S. Thompson style!!! Who's with me???

 
At 1:28 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with ya JD... I love a good drunken writing marathon. Just make sure you can read what you wrote the next morning! Thanks for "The Ghost In You" on Tuesday, it's one of those songs that makes you go 'Damn, I haven't heard that song in forever!' That and songs about loving hookers rule.... For a second there when you started talking about your song I thought you were going to go with "Leave without a trace' by Soul Asylum...

 
At 1:43 p.m., Blogger Sara Desjardins said...

Can't we just get drunk? Do we have to write??

I'll even supply our favourite bottle of wine ;)

xo

 
At 8:10 p.m., Blogger J.D. said...

Just wanted to let Daniela know that I'm still working on getting a copy of the Metropia episode for you. However, all the sections with us playing are now posted on the website under the Downloads section. It's pretty funny. You can see Alex's glasses fly off during All the Beautiful People. Good fun.

 
At 11:55 p.m., Blogger Sara Desjardins said...

Just heard that Hunter S. Thompson's ashes are going to be placed into some fireworks and set off in Aspen, Colorado!!! That guy knows how to have fun even after he's died!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home