free web tracker

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

And the Trilogy is Complete...

I know this is a bit like pouring water into the ocean, but I just couldn't help myself. This will be the third and final installment of my 'George Lucas is crazy' series. (At least for another 15 years until I can use a Playstation 5 to animate him myself and insert garish, cartoonish characters alongside him. I'll probably resurrect Paul Reubens to do the voice).

In all seriousness, the man has lost his marbles. He now belives he's Nostradamus and he's making bold predictions about the future of movie making. I found this interview at
www.imdb.com.

Lucas: "The Blockbuster Is Dead"

Movie mogul George Lucas predicts Hollywood will soon start shifting away from mega-budget blockbusters in favor of making more independent films for less money. Alongside Steven Spielberg, Star Wars creator Lucas is cited as being chiefly responsible for the blockbuster phenomenon that has gripped the movie industry for the last three decades. But he now believes big-budget films can no longer be profitable and are going out of fashion, as evidenced by this year's Academy Award nominees, including independent movies Crash and Good Night, And Good Luck. Lucas tells the New York Daily News, "The market forces that exist today make it unrealistic to spend $200 million on a movie. Those movies can't make their money back anymore. Look at what happened with King Kong. I think it's great that the major Oscar nominations have gone to independent films. Is that good for the business? No - it's bad for the business. But movie-making isn't about business. It's about art. In the future, almost everything that gets shown in theaters will be indie movies. I predict that by 2025 the average movie will cost only $15 million."


What world does this man live in? Is he an example of a man getting a little too lost in his work? Does he believe in this Utopian society where actors - who are now commanding 10-20 million a picture - will do movies just to better themselves? A brave new world where he and his pal, James Cameron, write the gripping, dazzling dialogue their renowned for just to stay sharp? A loving, caring community where the makers of digital cameras say, "You know what? We're just making way too much money here. Let's just make our products free for anyone who wants to make 'art'."

I mean, I consider myself a positive person, but I want even a half dosage of whatever drug that man is taking. 'Movie-making isn't about business.' I see. And that's why gems like Mission Impossible 3, The Fast & the Furious: Tokyo Drift or Miami Vice (oh yes, it's coming) get made. They get made because the producers and directors are desperate to make art. Even decent films, like Pirates of the Caribbean; I'm sure they just get made because Disney wants the world to be a better place - certainly not because they're interested in money.

It's sad to see a man who gave us some great stoires become a crazed mystic. George Lucas needs to be put in his cryogenic chamber as soon as possible. Let him bother the future with his adultering toys, offensive CGI 'actors' and his idyllic notions of art. My generation's had enough and now he needs to be put out to pasture far, far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home