free web tracker

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I'm not afraid of committment...

But it could be argued that I do have issues with long-term 'planning'. I joked with my sister for almost two years about just that sort of thing. When she asked the question, "Why haven't you sent your invitation to my wedding back?" I always responded, "Because I'm not sure I can go." Now, mostly I was joking. But not entirely. It's just that in my line of work, I don't know when or where I'll be in two months. I could be playing Horatio in Ottawa at the National Arts Centre, I could be rocking with the band in a bar in Jasper or I could be back at HMV at Yonge & Eglinton pasting stickers over Ashlee Simpson's face. Who's to say?

That said, I just made my biggest long-term commitment to date. Are you ready? Ok.
I bought tickets to the U2 show on September 12th. Yes. That's six months away. Don't shake your head. This is huge for me. I'm already stressed. I've got no idea what I'll do if I get a job out of town. Fake an injury? Feign a death in the family? I don't know. I'd move heaven and earth, though. This is U2 we're talking about! They just got inducted into the Rock & Roll hall of fame!!! How many people are inducted into a hall of fame while they're still doing what they do well? Even Gretzky or Lemieux had to retire first. Man, Bruce Springsteen ushered them in!!! "This is a bit of an Irish wedding," Bono said. "Beautiful girls in beautiful frocks, fights in the bathroom, lawyers with bloody noses." Jeez, it'd be a coin toss between my own wedding and a U2 concert. Who am I kidding? No, it wouldn't. Anyone marrying me would know that U2 comes first and I'd make it up to them on the honeymoon. I mean my future wife, not U2. But if U2 wanted to tag along, that's cool too.

Anyway, all this is moot. I'm going to have to learn to committ, because the rock and roll band that I'M in is less than a week away from finishing our cd. And then we're going to assault the world with rock. (Can you tell I'm feeling better today? I've been sick for more than a week with what my best friend called the 'Kervorkian Death Rattle'). Seriously, I'm really feeling optimistic that this cd will make some people stop and listen. Hopefully a lot of people. And when that happens, I'm going to have to committ to September 12th AND the 14th. I mean, U2's playing two dates and someone has to set the bar for them. I nominate us. Stay tuned to this journal for a pair of U2 tickets that will hopefully be going on sale soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home